Friday, July 20, 2007

Người Dân

Tonight I bathed to rid myself of the dirt, the filth of degradation and the stench of corruption. I bathed to find purity, to search for the innocence of the street children. I bathed in search of sanctity, for the Vietnamese women who lose their virginity to a stranger participating in the sex trade, not knowing that they've already lost their lives to HIV and drugs. I wanted to cleanse myself of the impurity, praying that their children be spared from the degradation.

Tonight I felt anger and hatred. I hate the backpacker bars, I hate the sixty-year-old men spending their life savings reliving their glory days with young Vietnamese prostitutes. I hate the people taking pictures of children dancing on pool tables and selling cigarettes. I hate the woman who forcefully pulled Hao and me in for a picture; she only did it because we're Vietnamese, even though we don't look at all like locals. I am angered by her ignorance, by my own degradation, by my own loss of dignity. I am no dog, I am no novelty. I hate the backpacker district, for every child and woman lost in the struggle for survival, for every man paid to keep his own people out of the nightclub.

They are no novelties, they are human beings. They are daughters and mothers, neighbors and friends. You, dear backpacker, may see a beautiful woman sitting by herself near the pool table, a prostitute waiting for work - another whore in the street. I see a woman lost to corruption and desperation. I see a single-mother coming home from work, I see a hungry child, I see the slums. I see a person, a human being dying of AIDS. I see exploitation and suffering.

I think of Thuy Cuc, Thuy Truc, Vi, and Thanh Thy. I think of the beautiful children who want to become doctors and teachers, I think about how much they deserve a voice in the world. I pray, oh I pray, that they will never have to suffer so. That they live as long as they can and receive the opportunities that we have. I pray that I never see them in a bar, sitting by a pool table. I pray I never see another three-year-old dancing at three in the morning to sell gum.

I stood in the shower, water running down my back, head in hands. The water of Vietnam cleansing me, the stench of cigarette smoke still in my nostrils. The cigarette burns a hole in my mind, a pockmark to remind me that scars never wash away.

2 comments:

Eric Sid said...

While I'm sorry to hear about the situations you're viewing and I really hope that these experiences do not become a weight that drags on your soul. If anything, the good that can come from this is that instead of acting as a weight - moments like this can instead provide the inspiration that can charge you to move forward in a world full of deprivity and disenchantment and rather push for change and with the upmost care for those that we can touch through a lifetime of service.

Don't forget that even in suffering there is still the barest of hope for change that together perhaps can a difference be made.

Struggles are only kept alive by holding onto the hope which those still living continue to look ever forwards for.

As I've heard John say one time: to feel this discomfort can be a good thing - it means you're still open to growth and change. it's only when things like this do not affect us or we become too comfortable and apathetic that we truly are at a loss and cannot grow.

Continue looking forward my friend.

Safe travels!

Eric

Qúy Hạc said...

chao dave, i'm hao's cousin, hac. i studied in ha noi last year with him and a bunch of other kids and did some traveling down in Sai Gon. Like you, I feel the same way about backpackers and their simplistic, one sided of Viet Nam. To them it is merely a vacation spot, to release their worries, their stress and to simply enjoy their hectic lives. Yet on the other side of the picture, there are those lower class folks who are struggling to make a few bucks to put clothes on their children's back, to put food on the table. it is such a sad sight to see. During mine and hao's travels from South to North last year, we witnessed this and were often disturbed by these "world travelers", supposedly open minded, supposedly understanding of different cultures. Hope your time in Viet Nam is a great one. I'll be reading more of your later posts within the next few days, weeks. take care.

hac.