Friday, July 13, 2007

Bach Ma

Hue is the most beautiful place I've ever been. The women are more beautiful there than in Saigon, the food is better, the people are friendlier, and it's peaceful. Beer is 10,000 dong (roughly about $0.60USD) because a lot of the beer in Vietnam is brewed there. We spent two nights there and I took a lot of pictures of the Imperial Palace. I wanted to stay longer, but today we went to Bach Ma..

Bach Ma National Park is gorgeously located high up in the mountains near Hue. Today we went hiking in the jungle on a crazy trail full of steep, slippery rocks that would drop you in the river. At some point, there were wooden ladders to help us down as we walked along the river, but most of them were broken, mossy and slippery. Parts of the trail were littered with broken bridges and after each descent, we'd find ourselves at the bottom of another waterfall, a beautiful lagoon, and a playground of trees, rocks, and vines to swim from. We ended up at the top of a 300m high waterfall overlooking the mountains. Everything I saw today was well worth the hike and I'm certain this is one of the most beautiful places in the world.

The wildlife there is abundant and lush. So abundant, however, that we ended up having to leave our hotel at the top of the trail because the water got shut off, the walls of our rooms were covered in moths/butterflies/stick bugs/leaf bugs half the size of my hand, and my buddy Long found a scorpion in the corner of bathroom while he was on the can. I didn't want to know what creatures I'd wake up in bed with the next day. We drove back down to sea level, by the ocean, to stay in a nice cushy hotel with running water and bars nearby.

Now we're in Bien Lang Co (Lang Co Beach), I can't wait to see what this place has in store for us...

No comments: